I joined Planet Fitness in February 2021 after having been a member of a competitor (that starts with "24") that went out of business at the location I used. Planet was a good alternative due to location. So here are some observations, both good and bad, after my move to Planet.
1. It's clean. Staff maintains a level of cleanliness that is really impressive. Hand sanitizer, paper towels, and cleaning stations are abundant. Signage is good to point out location of stations. Staff helps clean equipment and periodically 34rd party contractors come in and professionally wash, mop, and dry the floor.
2. It's well lighted and well ventilated
3. There are minimal announcements over the music system to interrupt music or interfere with concentration during workouts. (a very pleasant change after my experience at their competitor!
4. Staff is friendly, courteous, and professional. Planet sends out emails for surveys of customer satisfaction occasionally
5. Their phone app for touchless check in and features to gauge traffic at the facility over the app is very nice.
1. They have much signage regarding customers' responsibility to wipe down equipment before and after use. However, their policy is totally disregarded and is not enforced AT ALL!
2. They have the ability to track the demographics of their customers at each location and could base their music playlist on those demographics. Or they could even implement a system (at little cost) that would adjust the playlist to the average age of the clients inside the facility at any given time. But do they do this? NO! And if you are not 18-30 years old, the music on their playlist will make you want to puke. For anyone over 30, the playlist can be considered cruel and unusual punishment.
3. Customer concerns are not addressed in any objective form. If a complaint or concern is registered, do not expect to receive any feedback as to what consideration was given or what action was taken
Overall, I would neither say Planet is outstanding nor would I say it is terrible. It's adequate or maybe even a little ahead of other national chains.